At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That’s why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR is looking for a Strategic Communications Director to be part of our nationally ranked Resources Business Group. This business group includes the following markets: Industrial, Power & Energy, and Waste.
The primary duty of the Resources Business Group Strategic Communications Director will be to drive the implementation of a market-sector focused strategic communications program within the RBG. This position will report locally into an operating Area and will have dotted line reporting to the Resources Professional Services Director as well as the Strategic Communications Cross Sector Director. This individual will partner with the other business group Strategic Communications directors to coordinate activities that are tied to achieving goals across business groups.
The RBG Strategic Communications Director will work to define a RBG program that identifies market sector opportunities to raise HDR’s technical excellence in Strategic Communications; addresses methods to deepen the company’s market penetration in this area; foster growth strategies through geographic and market sector expansion; and identify key project opportunities. The Director will work with market sector leaders, technical staff and clients to integrate strategic communications strategy and market delivery. The Director will also be expected to regularly engage with clients, as well as serve in key leadership roles on select projects to maintain thought leadership status in the industry.
More Specific Duties Include:
- Project and Program Support Responsibilities – The selected candidate will serve as a technical focal point for the RBG to deliver strategic communications services to our clients and to create alliances within the RBG. This individual will work closely with other technical Business Class Directors, Regional Directors, Market Sector Directors and Client Managers to help fulfill long-term growth goals while maintaining high quality deliverables. Additionally, other duties include technical support, quality oversight, PARR participation, recruitment and staff development, best practice development, project leadership, and principal-level program/project management.
- Marketing and Business Development – As a cross sector representative, the Director will support other Market Sector directors in developing strategic communications initiatives to inform and support strategic visions. Further, the Director will develop his/her own strategic and tactical plans to address market opportunities and help drive the business into geographies and service areas that are most appropriate to strengthen our overall program. Additional duties include supporting internal and external client relationships in ways that help identify and capitalize on select major pursuit opportunities. This position also supports select project capture planning efforts, pre-proposal discussions and/or meetings, and proposal preparation and coordination with technical and marketing staff, as well as presentations and negotiations, when appropriate.
- Technical Staff Development and Alignment – This individual serves as the RBG subject-matter expert on strategic communications, and leads and defines initiatives and best practices. The Director will partner with regional and area (local) teams in the recruitment of key staff; mentoring and staff development; and aligning Strategic Communications staff with market opportunities and client needs.
- A Master’s degree in a marketing or communications field.
- Minimum of 10 years with practical communications experience in the Architecture & Engineering industry
- Experience in the development and management of a wide range of client relationships and specific programs and/or project pursuits.
- Demonstrated industry leadership in associations and in maintaining a visible profile in the relevant markets.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with client managers, business class directors, business group directors and operations staff.
- Proven experience recruiting and leading staff; strong history of mentoring.
- Demonstrated commitment to HDR values and an attitude and commitment to being an active participant in our employee-owned culture.
- An understanding of HDR’s Business Classes, Cross Sectors, Market Sectors and Business Groups.
- Demonstrated relationships with Area Management teams.
At HDR, we know work isn’t only about who you work for; it’s also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other’s contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.
United States-Ohio-Cincinnati, United States-Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, United States-North Carolina-Charlotte, United States-Texas-Austin, United States-Washington-Bellevue, United States-Missouri-Kansas City, United States-South Dakota-Sioux Falls, United States-Florida-Miami, United States-Massachusetts-Boston, United States-Nebraska-Omaha, United States-Colorado-Denver, United States-California-Sacramento, United States-Maryland-Silver Spring, United States-Tennessee-Nashville, United States-Missouri-St Louis, United States-New York-New York, United States-Maryland-Baltimore, United States-Utah-Salt Lake City, United States-Texas-Houston, United States-California-Irvine, United States-Arizona-Phoenix, United States-North Dakota-Bismarck, United States-California-San Francisco, United States-Georgia-Atlanta, United States-South Carolina-Charleston, United States-California-Oakland, United States-California-Walnut Creek, United States-Virginia-Vienna, United States-California-Folsom, United States-Oregon-Portland, United States-Florida-Orlando, United States-Illinois-Chicago, United States-New Jersey-Mahwah, United States-California-Los Angeles, United States-Idaho-Boise, United States-North Carolina-Raleigh, United States-Washington-Seattle, United States-Ohio-Cleveland, United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh, United States-Florida-Tampa, United States-Nevada-Las Vegas, United States-Texas-San Antonio, United States-Texas-Dallas, United States-California-San Diego, United States-Ohio-Columbus
At HDR, we are committed to the principles of employment equity in all of our offices. USA: We are an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all qualified candidates regardless of minority, veteran, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or any other status protected by law. CANADA: We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. AUSTRALIA: We consider all qualified candidates regardless of gender, ethnicity, country of birth, political or religious affiliation, health status, or any other status protected by law.
Health and safety is also our priority. For some positions, you may be required to provide drug and alcohol testing, before or during employment, based on our Drug Testing and Drug Free Workplace Policy. If you are required to drive for us, we require a valid driver's license and compliance with our vehicle policy.