Fairmarkit is the intelligent sourcing platform that empowers organizations to more efficiently purchase the goods and services they need. By equipping procurement and supply-chain teams with automation and data, Fairmarkit promotes competitive bidding while reducing manual work within existing processes. Fairmarkit has been recognized with awards by organizations such as Gartner and IDC, and is backed by strategic investors like GGV Capital, Insight Partners, 1984.VC, and Newfund.
Fairmarkit is looking for a Head of Data Science to lead a talented and growing team of data scientists, machine learning engineers, data engineers, and analysts in our next phase of growth. In this role, you will leverage our expansive spend data – hundreds of billions of dollars to date – to develop data and ML solutions for our customer’s most critical needs. As a leader, you will have an impact on data-based decision-making across the company and will collaborate across departments, from product and technology to sales and customer success.
You are a great fit for this role if your greatest strengths include:
- Translating business requirements into statistical problems that can then be attacked with data and models.
- Communicating effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences and acting as the “go-to” source for answers to all things data.
- Working with CTO and product team on the company data strategy and ML team roadmap
- Leading, mentoring, and growing an A+ team of data scientists and engineers.
About The Role
- You will report to our CTO and will directly lead our team of data scientists, data engineers, and machine learning engineers.
- You will define, measure, and monitor metrics that indicate success, both for specific products and in aggregate, communicate them to both internal and external stakeholders, and use them to make prioritization and release decisions.
- You will continually evaluate the competitive landscape and monitor developments in available data and state-of-the-art methods to ensure that our solutions are best-in-class and our value proposition remains strong and unique.
- You are available for meetings and collaboration between 9a and 5p ET.
- You have an advanced academic degree in a technical discipline such as CS, mathematics, statistics, or operations research. A research degree (PhD or equivalent) is preferred but not required.
- You have 5 or more years of industry experience as a practitioner, with at least 2 years of experience as a leader and people manager.
- You have experience managing and working with large-scale datasets (i.e. datasets that would be impossible to load and interact with on a top of the line MacBook Pro).
- You have expertise in commonly used languages and frameworks for data work, such as SQL, R and Python (languages) and pandas, pySpark, and tidyverse (frameworks).
- You are comfortable with industry-standard containerization and virtualization technologies, such as Docker, k8s, and helm.
- You have experience with most of the technologies (or similar technologies) that we use in our data stack:
- Data processing (e.g. Spark, Hadoop, EMR, Databricks)
- Data cataloging (e.g. Glue, Data Factory)
- Data formats (e.g. Avro, Parquet)
- Stream processing (e.g. Kafka, Flink)
- Workflow orchestration (e.g. Argo, Airflow)
- General machine learning frameworks (e.g. PyTorch, LightGBM, XGBoost)
- NLP frameworks (e.g. NLTK, spaCy, fastText)
Headquartered in Boston, and backed by a $30M Series B co-led by GGV Capital and Insight Partners, we are looking for exceptional candidates who want to help grow our company into a global enterprise and make their mark on the B2B tech industry. Come soar to new heights with us!
Fairmarkit is an equal opportunity employer, and selects individuals best matched for the job based upon job-related qualifications regardless of race, religion, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status or any other status or characteristic protected by law.